Tuesday, June 12, 2018

37. Laziest fisherman


37. Laziest fisherman

Setting: small fishing pier at the mouth of Pensacola Bay.

 

Cast: ML, Shaving 1, Shaving 1 mother and some really fast/funny locals (or it was a routine they had developed over time as what happened had probably all happened before).

 

Time & objective: Late evening so light was failing; standard rules in play: anything is better than nothing, big is better than small, edible is better than inedible.

 

I was bouncing a shrimp around the bottom when there was a ~hit with material resistance on the way up but not much fight. As I lifted it out of the water it looked about 3 ft long and white and, remember failing light, I thought I was looking at the bottom of a scary big blue crab. As I lifted it higher I could see the ‘catch’ was a Spanish mackerel that someone had caught, filleted and tossed the remains back in the water.

 

This was a foreseeable scenario as I was fishing next to the cleaning station. But as I pulled the cleaned skeleton over the rail and into the pier deck light one guy yells…”Don’t reel ‘em in so fast”. And another quickly follows with ….”Laziest fisherman I ever saw; only catches fish that are already cleaned”.

 

ML

12 Jun, 2018